Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: show in toronto

  1. #1
    Inactive Member usedtorock1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    it got off to a rocky start - ness said it was great to be in british columbia again...he recovered well though and got us laughing with his fuck-up. he also wondered if it was a pre-requisite to smoke if you live in toronto (it was really smokey!)
    great show, the highlights (for me) was sick boys, when she begins, story of my life (encore song), prison bound....well, they were all really good. he really controlled the show - i didn't find his band to be all that animated - oh well, i guess they have a job to do!
    he also had zero-tolerance for a pit-kid who was throwing shit on stage - at first really angry, telling him to be man enough and show himself; then he "suggested" the audience take care of him; then his sense of humour returned and he threw a couple of "your momma" jokes his way.
    two complaints - 1) it was really freakin' loud, like loud enough to distort the melodies and lyrics and 2) too many people! last time i saw them there were about 25 of us in the club, and monday night there were probably 1000+ - oh well, good for them.
    i'm six months pregnant and the baby rocked the entire time!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member nob's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2004
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was at the British Columbia - sorry, Toronto - show as well. It was fucking great. I've been a Social Distortion/Mike Ness fan for twenty years and never managed to see them live.
    The sound was kind of shitty unless you were front centre, and even then it wasn't great... and if you told me twenty years ago that some day I'd pay $37 for a punk gig I would have laughed in your face. Once the band hit the stage, though, none of that mattered. I haven't seen that kind of energy since the early days, certainly never combined with the tight and spontaneous playing these guys were doing. The crowd was good, pretty responsive, with the usual assholes hucking drinks, leading Ness to say, "You know, if I was at a rock and roll show and some asshole beside me threw his beer, you know what I'd do, I'd punch the motherfucker in the face." Highlights of the show, for me at least; 'Ball and Chain', 'Prison Bound', and 'Don't Take Me For Granted'.
    Again, great show, great band, if you have a chance make sure you catch this tour.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member usedtorock1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by nob:
    I was at the British Columbia - sorry, Toronto - show as well. It was fucking great. I've been a Social Distortion/Mike Ness fan for twenty years and never managed to see them live.
    The sound was kind of shitty unless you were front centre, and even then it wasn't great... and if you told me twenty years ago that some day I'd pay $37 for a punk gig I would have laughed in your face. Once the band hit the stage, though, none of that mattered. I haven't seen that kind of energy since the early days, certainly never combined with the tight and spontaneous playing these guys were doing. The crowd was good, pretty responsive, with the usual assholes hucking drinks, leading Ness to say, "You know, if I was at a rock and roll show and some asshole beside me threw his beer, you know what I'd do, I'd punch the motherfucker in the face." Highlights of the show, for me at least; 'Ball and Chain', 'Prison Bound', and 'Don't Take Me For Granted'.
    Again, great show, great band, if you have a chance make sure you catch this tour.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">nob - are you from toronto? I'm not a big fan of Kool Haus as a live-music venue - there must be somewhere better to play? I've searched online for a review of the show and can't find one anywhere - do you know if a review was written up in any of the local papers? i'm curious to know what the "critics" though of the show.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member nob's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2004
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't seen any reviews yet either, probably Now magazine will have one. If I find any I'll post a link. I'm not in Toronto, I'm on north shore Lake Erie, spitting distance from Buffalo.
    I haven't been to the Kool Haus since it became the Kool Haus; it sucked before and it sucks now, as far as I'm concerned. Security took some of my dope, the assholes.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member B2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 1st, 2004
    Posts
    199
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    what was the set list?

    I have to say that I am insulted ness could think he was in vancouver while in toronto

  6. #6
    Inactive Member nob's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2004
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah, a Vancouver resident.
    Bear with me on the set list, I'm poor and haven't bought the new CD yet so don't know the names of the songs. Besides I was drunk.
    'Ring of Fire'
    'Nickels and Dimes'
    'Mommy's Little Monster'
    'another new song'
    'Let It Be Me'
    'Under My Thumb'
    'Making Believe'
    'Prison Bound'
    'She Begins'
    'Ball and Chain' (a-fucking-mazing, and this was one of the songs I was there for)
    'Don't Take Me For Granted'
    'Sick Boy'
    'Story Of My Life'
    There was more of course, and I loved it too, just don't remember it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member B2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 1st, 2004
    Posts
    199
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks man I appreciate it

  8. #8
    Inactive Member no_tomorrow_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 2004
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The setlist I had from the show is
    Set list:
    Ring of Fire
    Reach For the Sky
    Under My Thumb
    The Creeps
    Highway 101
    Don?t Take Me For Granted
    Mommy?s Little Monster
    Prison Bound
    Telling Them
    Making Believe
    So Far Away
    When She Begins
    Sick Boys
    Ball and Chain
    Nickels and Dimes

    Encore:
    Footprints On My Ceiling
    Story Of My Life

    Probably slightly out of order, either way it was such an amazing show!!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member usedtorock1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    have you seen any reviews from the toronto show???

  10. #10
    Inactive Member no_tomorrow_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 2004
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nah, I've been trying to find some but no luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •